The earliest record of the existence of any police service in Grenada dates back to the year 1853; when Policing was a part-time occupation and the magistrate’s of the major towns were given charge of the police for that district. In 1854 the Colonial Government took over Fort George and established it as the headquarters for the Police and the Militia. The fort was named Fort Royal when constructed in 1705, but was later changed to Fort George.
The Police were then given arms and the authority to administer their own affairs and it was at that time the modern Police Force began to take shape. The flagpole, which stands high above the fort, was erected in 1915.The first record of enlistment into the service was that of 3rd class constable James B Williams. A native of Nevis, he was enlisted on the 13th September 1880 . In 1893 Andrew James and Taylor Williams were enlisted into the service; between the years 1894 and 1913 there were sixty-one enlistments.
The first known Chief of Police was Major A E Cappel, who as Chief during the period 1912 – 1920 ran the Force along strict military lines. In 1923 when Major Heider-Stan assumed that responsibility, the Force was reorganized; Regulations and Standing Orders were developed and at that time the Force was segmented into Divisions and Departments with a clearly defined chain of command. Seven police stations were established in 1923; namely Central, Gouyave, Victoria, Sauteurs, Grenville, St. David’s and Hillsborough.
The Establishment of the force at that time consisted of; 1 Chief of Police, 1 Sergeant Major, 2 Station Sergeants, 4 Sergeants, 6 Corporals, 15 Lance Corporals, 27 2nd Class Constables, 35 3rd Class Constables and 1 Armourer Sergeant who served all the windward Islands. The strength of the force in 1923 was 92.
The Royal Grenada Police Force is established under The Police Act, Cap 244, Revised Laws of Grenada 1990 (hereinafter the “Police Act”) which provides for the Organisation, Administration, Discipline, Powers and Duties of the Royal Grenada Police and for matters related to policing. The Force shall consist of a number of officers, whose numbers will from time to time be regulated by the Governor General and enrolled in the Force. All members of the Royal Grenada Police Force employed at the date of the coming into operation of the Police Act, shall be deemed to have been appointed under the Act and to have taken the oath of office prescribed for a police officer appointed under the Act.
Past Chief’s of Police
|Major A Cappel||1912-1920|
|Major D Kerr||1920-1922|
|Major O Heidenstan||1923-1928|
|Major E M James||1953|
|Mr. J B G Austine||1953-1956|
|Mr. Mc Colgan||1956|
With the enactment of the Police Regulations Section 66, Chapter 244 of Volume IX of 1960 revised Laws of Grenada, the officer appointed to the office of the Chief of Police was changed to “Commissioner of Police” and a new rank structure was created.
Past Commissioners’ of Police before the Revolutionary period
|Major J H Holley||1956-1967|
|Mr. M C Roberts||1967-1968|
|Mr. Ivan Quarless||1968-1969|
|Mr. Stephen Bascombe||1969-1970|
|Mr. R King||1970-1971|
|Mr. Nugent David||1971|
|Mr. R L Barrow||1971-1973|
|Mr. Nugent David||1973-1974|
|Mr. Osbert James||1974-1975|
|Mr. J Usen||1975-1976|
|Mr. Osbert James||1976|
|Mr. Adonis Francis||1976|
|Mr. Osbert James||1976-1978|
|Mr. Anthony Bernard||1978|
|Mr. Osbert James||1978-1979|
During the Revolutionary period
|Mr. Raphael Stanislaus||1979|
|Mr. James Clarkson||1979-1981|
|Mr. A B Bernard||1981|
|Major Ian St. Bernard||1981|
|Major Patrick Mc Leish||1981-1983|
Commissioners’ of Police Post Revolutionary Period
|Mr. Mervyn Holder||1983-1985|
|Mr. Russel Toppin||1985-1987|
|Mr. Cosmus Raymond||1987|
|Col. G Mignon||1987|
|Mr. Cosmus Raymond||1987-1989|
|Mr. Samuel H Brookes||1989-1990|
|Lt. Col. Nestor Ogilvie||1990-1997|
|Fitzroy F.A. Bedeau||1997-2005|
|Mr. Winston James||2005 – 2008|
|Mr. James Clarkson||2008 – 2013|
|Mr. Willan Thompson||2013 – 2014*|
* Mr. Winston James is currently acting Commissioner
The March 13th Revolution of 1979 brought about many changes including an end to the long period in which the police occupied Fort George. This occupancy began in 1854 and ended in 1979 when the Police Department was transferred to a building on Melville Street, St. George’s on 24the May 1979. The Headquarters of the force was later returned to Fort George in 1983.
The RGPF Police Band (Bugles and Drums) is among the oldest Military Bands in the West Indies.
Past Band Masters
|Mr. Mc Darport||1910-1914|
|Inspector De Coteau||1932-1970|
|ASP Ignatius Roberts||1984-2001|
|Inspector Brian Hurst||2001- 2007|
|Inspector John Amede||2007 – 2008|
|Assistant Superintendent Brian Hurst||2008 – Present|
People’s Law No. 38 of 1980 Gazetted August 1 1980 brought about the change of the name from “Force” to “Service” by its amendment. It was then called the “Royal Grenada Police Service” but later Ordinance No. 14 dated September 17 1984 further amended it to “Royal Grenada Police Force” as it is now called.